Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Los Angeles - 4th of July Weekend, 2006

I spent the 4th of July weekend with Izzie in and around Los Angeles. The ocean breeze blew in and kept things relatively cool along the coast. But when we headed in-land, the you could really feel the desert heat.

We headed out to Ontario, CA one day. The town is about 50 miles east of LAX. There is an airport that Southwest Airlines flies into and out of, a large convention center and a Mills outlet mall. There is also some agricultural activity as well.

Strawberries are in season and all the local restaurants were serving various strawberry pies and desserts. They were quite tasty.

We stayed at the Pacific Palms Conference and Resort Center. The independent hotel offers two golf courses and a two-tier driving range. Quite nice for the golfing addicts. Alas, we weren't there to play golf. The other nice feature about the facility is the conference rooms. The layout is quite spacious and comfortable for conferences, banquets and receptions.

The hotel room that we were assigned was small and a bit crampt. The window overlooked the nearby hills, the heliport and the driving range. The room got warm very quickly without the air conditioner running. And the AC did not have an automatic shutoff system. So we spent the night manually turning the AC on and off as the room alternated between being too warm and too cold.

The free Internet access was nice. And the Aveda bath products were also a nice touch. If I wanted to play golf or needed to attend an event, I would definitely stay at the Pacific Palms again. Otherwise, I would choose the Sheraton Fairplex out in Pomona.

6 months of 2006 have passed and here is my traveler tally:
  • 17 different flights
  • 23 nights in various hotels
  • 2 train trips (London - Paris, RT)
Looking at my calendar, I noticed that I have been on a plane 7 out of the last 9 weeks. My travel schedule eases up for the rest of July and August. But it picks up again in September. I may tire of business travel in the future. But I still enjoy it for now!

No comments: